Thursday, September 30, 2010

One of the reasons why America is losing out on engineers and scientists

Bad news today for anyone who wants to get science kits for their children. Product safety for children is getting out of hand, the Consumer Product Safety Commission wants companies to perform safety checks on every item in science kits marketed to children.

I can tell you that these kits have been getting more and more dumbed down every year. Just look at a comparison from these kits from the 1960's versus these modern ones. Sure, the older ones are not as safe, but that is where Adult Supervision comes in.

This legislation of toys and products for children is getting out of hand. Sure, I want kids to be safe, but is up to the parents to choose wheter a product is safe for their child or not. We cannot prootect them against everything in the world.

So, parents, let your kids get a little dirty, let them get fingers pinched in the gears of dismantled toys, let them use the screwdriver. As an engineer, I am glad I got to tear things apart to see how they worked when I was young. It started my love for it and I'll let mine do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment